- By Dana Sparks
Golfers: Tee Up Common Sense with These Tips
There's more to golf than your golf swing. Use common sense to lower your risk of injury:
1. Warm up. Before you golf, walk or jog for a few minutes. Then try a few gentle stretches.
2. Start slowly. Work up to your desired level of activity.
3. Think overall fitness. Include aerobic activity, stretching and strength training in your fitness routine.
4. Lift your clubs carefully. Keep your back straight and use the strength of your legs to lift your clubs and other heavy objects.
Protect your elbows
To keep your game on course, think prevention:
1. Strengthen your forearm muscles. Use light weights or squeeze a tennis ball.
2. Do some dynamic stretching (half swings) before you golf. Walk or jog for a few minutes to warm up your muscles first.
3. Fix your form. Ask an instructor to check your grip and swing technique.
4. Know when to rest. At the first sign of elbow pain, take a break.