Posted by Dana Sparks (@danasparks) · Jul 31, 2013
Swallowed Objects and Infant Choking: Tips for Parents and Caregivers
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, at least one child dies from choking on food every five days in the United States, and more than 10,000 children are taken to a hospital emergency room each year for food-choking injuries. Grace Arteaga, M.D., a pediatrician at Mayo Clinic Children’s Center, says, “Should a child choke or swallow something dangerous, parents and caregivers may want to offer liquids and/or solids, but this is not recommended. Also, parents should not force the child to vomit. Have the child see the doctor as soon as possible or take the child to the emergency room."
Sound bites with Dr. Arteaga in English and Spanish, and b-roll of her demonstrating the Heimlich maneuver on a child mannequin, are available in the downloads. Also in the downloads are two Saving Lives With Gus demonstration videos for the Heimlich maneuver.
If a child is coughing forcefully after swallowing an object, parents and caregivers should encourage him or her to continue coughing and not interfere. But, if the swallowed object blocks the airway, and the child’s condition worsens (the cough becomes silent or breathing becomes more difficult), Mayo Clinic experts recommend the "five-and-five" approach to first aid:
Page loaded in 0.353 seconds