• By Deb Balzer

Mayo Clinic News Network Headline 4/10/15

April 10, 2015

In today's Mayo Clinic News Network Headline with Vivien Williams:

• A new study shows vigorous exercise may be better for people over age 45 than moderate exercise. Edward Laskowski, M.D., explains the health benefits of interval training.

Journalists: Video is available in the downloads. [TRT 1:06] Click here for the script

Sorry to heard about your accident. Have good speed recovery and know we all in telecommunication office are thinking of you. Keep riding that bike.

COMMENT

Thanks for sharing your story; it gives hope to other orthopedic patients! As a fellow motorcyclist, I commend you for having the courage to get back on your bike after such a traumatic accident and finding the joy of the open road again.

COMMENT

I also ride my own motorcycle and know there's always a chance someone will not see me. As Sue mentioned, riding your own bike and enjoying God's country is why we take the risk. Happy to hear you're back on the bike and enjoying life!

COMMENT

I would just like to echo previous comments and say I commend you for having the courage to get back on that iron horse and ride again. You look great!! I too ride my own. Nothing like riding across God's country with the wind in your face! I wish you continued recovery – 'two fingers down'

COMMENT

Glad you are healing. As a former ICU nurse I just want to say, Thanks for wearing a helmet!

COMMENT

I know it's been a long, hard recovery for you. Like everything in your life, you've tackled it with a determination unmatched by anyone I've ever met. With your (never wavering) positive attitude I have no doubt you'll be just fine. We are lucky to have you as an employee and wish you well.

COMMENT

Thank you so much for sharing your story and thank you for putting into words, how so many of us feel about riding a motorcycle. We are so lucky to work at Mayo Clinic and it means so much to providers and other employees when they get a compliment for their care. Safe Riding!!!

COMMENT

Return-to-work-consultant…I don't believe I've ever heard of such! I've never heard of any co-workers being offered that sort of assistance when needing to rehab/recover from illness or accident. Is this something that is available to those of us who work in the MCHS or is it just available to the Rochester campus?

COMMENT

Sue, I'm so happy to hear that your healing journey continues! It was wonderful to meet you and hear about your experience first hand.

COMMENT

What a wonderful article Sue!!! So glad that you are ok, on the mend and back to work!

COMMENT

Sue is truly an inspiration to me personally and professionally. Her attitude and tenacity are beyond amazing. The RN staff where she works are very lucky to have her. You go girl!

COMMENT
@kathleenlehman

Return-to-work-consultant…I don't believe I've ever heard of such! I've never heard of any co-workers being offered that sort of assistance when needing to rehab/recover from illness or accident. Is this something that is available to those of us who work in the MCHS or is it just available to the Rochester campus?

Jump to this post

I was also surprise to hear about the "return to work consultant" role. I've worked here on the Florida campus for over 12 years, and this is news to me. Sounds very beneficial – is this something that all sites across the Enterprise have?

COMMENT

Sue, I've read your story, and I am so sorry that you had an accident that landed you in the hospital. It was great that you had that positive attitude during that time and was able to get back on your bike to ride. You recovered and you are riding the roads again!! I, too, am a sister biker for the past 42 years riding my own Harley. As you told us about the awesome feeling you have when riding your bike, you are right on. I saw a quote that I like; 'You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that's pretty close.'(pinterest.) I love the bandana you are wearing, it looks like my friend Michelle's bandana business, and I have several! Happy Trails and maybe see you on the road one day.

COMMENT

Oh my goodness Sue!!! I am so glad you are ok! Way to go Mayo Clinic for taking care of my friend!!!

COMMENT

Sue you continue to impress me every time I see you! What a story. So much difficulty and yet beauty in it all. I am proud to work and Mayo and grateful that you were able to get the awesome care you did! Keep up the good work!

COMMENT
Please login or register to post a reply.