• By Deborah Balzer

Mayo Clinic News Network Headline 5/13/15

May 13, 2015

In today's Mayo Clinic News Network Headline with Vivien Williams:

• Ticks: These disease-carrying parasites are responsible for more than 30,000 cases of Lyme disease each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Mayo Clinic parasitologist Dr. Bobbi Pritt offers tips on how to prevent tick bites and what to do in case one embeds into your skin.

Journalists: Video is available in the downloads. [TRT 1:24] Click here for the script.

If my spouse is under my employee provided Mayo Medical Plan and over 65, can he delay applying for Medicare B until I retire?

COMMENT

If you at age 65 apply for medicare A and B and the you receive the Mayo Medicare Supplement, does that supplement replace "medicare B" and cover prescriptions also? So you don't pay for part "B" and also pay for the Mayo Medicare supplement, you only pay for one of them?

COMMENT

The age for Social Security is changing – will the Medicare age change as well?

COMMENT

I now have Medicare part A and carry the mayo medical plan, I denied part B will there be a penalty by Medicare because of this? will I need anything from HR connect when I do retire to show I had Mayo plan insurance?

COMMENT
@millie123

If you at age 65 apply for medicare A and B and the you receive the Mayo Medicare Supplement, does that supplement replace "medicare B" and cover prescriptions also? So you don't pay for part "B" and also pay for the Mayo Medicare supplement, you only pay for one of them?

Jump to this post

Thank you my husband did retire from Mayo after 33.5 years continuous in July 2014 and I currently work at Mayo and I will retire and go on his retirement insurance then.

COMMENT
@kimmcveigh

If my spouse is under my employee provided Mayo Medical Plan and over 65, can he delay applying for Medicare B until I retire?

Jump to this post

Yes. At the time you retire, he’ll need a form from the Social Security office to be signed by HR Connect. Please contact HR Connect at 888-266-0440 for more information. Thanks – Your Total Rewards Team

** Comment posted by subject matter expert **

COMMENT
@lynnflickinger1

The age for Social Security is changing – will the Medicare age change as well?

Jump to this post

While Medicare reform is often discussed, there are no changes regarding Medicare eligibility imminent at this time. Thanks – Your Total Rewards Team

COMMENT
@millie123

Jump to this post

The Mayo Medicare Supplement is available to pre-2015 retirees (varies by site) and their spouses. It does not replace Medicare Part A & B, but instead supplements that coverage, as the name implies. It does include a pharmacy component. An individual in this scenario would have Medicare Part A (free), Medicare Part B, and the Mayo Medicare Supplement. The supplement for new retirees (2015 and beyond) is available through Via Benefits (formerly OneExchange). Please contact HR Connect for more information. Thanks – Your Total Rewards Team

COMMENT
@jeffreysmutny

I now have Medicare part A and carry the mayo medical plan, I denied part B will there be a penalty by Medicare because of this? will I need anything from HR connect when I do retire to show I had Mayo plan insurance?

Jump to this post

No – there will not be a penalty so long as you fill out the appropriate form from the Social Security office that HR Connect will need to sign, verifying that you’ve had employer coverage. Thanks – Your Total Rewards Team

COMMENT
Please login or register to post a reply.