• By Dana Sparks

Mayo Clinic News Network — Headlines 10/1/14

October 1, 2014

Mayo Clinic News Network Headlines include:

• Stroke telemedicine
  • Liver transplant
  • Gluten-free diet

Journalists: Video is available in the downloads. Click here for script.

Re: 2015 Medical Plan 1. Are the leaders who made these changes aware that Mayo employs over a hundred FTEs at a facility in Massachusetts (MMLNE) that do not have access to Mayo Clinic or MCHS providers (Tier 1 Network)? 2. If yes, what is the justification for forcing MMLNE staff and remote teleworkers to pay higher deductables and OOP maxes than their peers (with the same salary structure) based on their geographical location? 3. Should those who do not have reasonable geographical access to Tier 1 providers expect a cost of living salary increase to cover the larger health care costs we are being asked to carry over our peers in the 3 main campuses and MCHS? 4. When will the Tier 2 Network be detailed, so we will know if we will need to change Providers to avoid even higher deductables in Tier 3?

COMMENT

is there ever a chance that the gym at the lourdes gym be open for employees to use to play basketball?

COMMENT

In Florida, the covered walkway between Stabile and the hospital gets very slick when it rains (this is the same for the area in front of Stabile where the same stone is used), and there have been many times where I've slipped (luckily I've been able to catch my balance so far). Is there anything that could be done to rough up the stone a bit or to apply some grit so that there's a bit more traction?

COMMENT

Re "dress and decorum": I do not understand why there isn't a policy about long hair. I think everyone involved in patient care should have to put their long hair up or tie it back. I also see non-nursing female employees wearing short tunics, tights and boots. This doesn't look like appropriate professional dress to me.

COMMENT

Why the long em dash, with spaces on both sides, in the new naming convention of Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester? It's contrary to grammar rules (http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/dashes.asp) and takes up so much space. It's been interesting to see it so many different ways in the local newspaper; it seems like they are trying to conform, but just don't get it right every time. As for me, a Rochester native, it will always be St. Mary's Hospital and Methodist Hospital (non-work conversations, of course). Reminds me of the change from Mayo Clinic to Mayo Medical Center and also Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. Sometimes, it just doesn't matter what the "official" name is on legal documents and what's used in less formal communications. Just my opinion.

COMMENT

Re: " Dress and Decorum" Long hair, short hair it doesn't matter. In order to prevent what Jeri is speaking about all of us would need to wear a food surgery bonnet. I hope Mayo doesn't become too military oriented.

COMMENT

While I realize that it is up to each unit to maintain D&D standards, as a patient, I have encountered desk employees with visible tattoos and piercings.

COMMENT

I know this is off topic, but it's been on my mind. I seems like I've been hearing numerous statements lately that end with the comment, "…but that's Mayo." The statements the preceed this comment generally are not positive either, and I've heard the "…but that's Mayo" comment from managers, which is even more disturbing. Here are a examples: "We are moving ahead to hire for the position, but things take time, but that's Mayo." "We need to take all discussions to committee for evaluation, but that's Mayo." I think every time we hear "…but that's Mayo" we need to stop and evaluate if that's what we really want our culture to be. Is that really Mayo, or is that just the way we (the employees) like things to be? Each time we hear, "…but that's Mayo", maybe we need to stop and think if there's a way to "work differently" that would eliminate the need for that comment to be attached. Thanks for listening!

COMMENT

Back in october when the new Executive Health Department waiting room was unveiled I asked 2 questions that I have not seen answered. How are doctors chosen to participate in EHD program and do residents do a rotation through this department? I feel these are reasonable questions. Please let me know if an answer is forthcoming. I apologize if the answer has been published and I have not seen it.

COMMENT

In regards to the color of scrubs in each work area, it should be realized that in Florida the scrub colors are assigned. I'm sure other locations are assigned as well. These were not designated in the link that was provided as an answer. For instance, in Florida, our Mayo provided scrubs are not ceil blue. That would be the color designated to nurses. The question was tagged as general for Arizona, Florida and Rochester, but perhaps it should only have been tagged as Rochester with that particular answer. Thanks!

COMMENT

I like that the Q's and A's in this column are now labeled with which site(s) they apply to. Thank you for that!

COMMENT

I would also like to know if the gym at Lourdes would be available for basketball. The fact that the Dan Abraham doesn't have one is a major disappointment.

COMMENT

I should have written executive health program not department.

COMMENT

I haven't read all the comments, so apologies if the following is a duplicate comment: I note that the first item, on Dress and Decorum, indicates "Arizona/Florida/Rochester," yet the hyperlinked policy itself states only "Rochester" at the top. Just an edit consideration. Thank you.

COMMENT

It can be very discouraging to see employees wearing facial piercings and violating the dress code. It's my understanding that some supervisors are more lax when it comes to enforcing the dress code. I am not against piercings and/or tattoos as they would in no way effect one's ability to do their job, but if there is a Mayo policy, I think every department should be following it.

COMMENT
Please login or register to post a reply.