• By Dana Sparks

Mayo Clinic News Network — Headlines 9/17/14

September 17, 2014

Mayo Clinic News Network Headlines include:

• Less invasive medical advances
  • Radiation Therapy
  • Right running technique

Journalists: Video is available in the downloads. Click here for script.

Thank you for reimbursing airplane internet fees. I often do work while inflight and this will allow me to get even more done while traveling for work.

COMMENT

I'm confused. Does this mean that the up to $35/day for internet access now comes out of incidental expenses with a cap of $75/day instead of being part of lodging costs? If I am trying to pay for tips and gratuities and internet access and meals, then $75/day is not sufficient in most places 🙁

COMMENT

Lynn, I'm sorry for the confusion. Mayo Trip & Travel Committee approved a separate $35 daily cap for all eligible internet fees (hotel and in-flight fees). The daily max for meals and all other incidental travel expenses is still $75. I have updated the Reimbursement Quick Reference Guide to help make the separate caps clearer http://intranet.mayo.edu/charlie/travel-services/files/2013/07/Reimbursement-Quick-Reference.pdf . Thank you for your question.

COMMENT

Thank you for the clarification, Catherine! That's a relief 🙂

COMMENT

There is now a seperate expense type in Concur for Internet Fees.

COMMENT

I really appreciate Mayo Clinic moving forward and embracing the use of technology while traveling. Internet access on a plane was once considered a luxury but is now more of a necessity. We're all trying to "work differently" and squeeze in as much time to accomplish our responsibilities.

COMMENT

When will trip and travel make the appropriate adjustments to the travel expense items in those cities that they have raised the eligible hotel rate? In each of the cities listed, it is more expensive for everything, cabs, meals and so on. Is this being looked into?

COMMENT

Tyler, Regarding ground transportation … Total parking and ground transportation (excluding rental car) expenses exceeding $75 per day require receipts from the first dollar expended in order to be reimbursed. http://mayocontent.mayo.edu/travelpolicies/DOCMAN-0000150500

COMMENT

What about Internet charges incurred while waiting in an airport? There usually is much downtime that travelers can utilize by doing Mayo work on their devices while waiting to board their flight. The policy statement only mentions "in-flight" and "hotel." Thanks.

COMMENT

I have a question about grocery items. It often makes sense to purchase bottled water and quick snacks in bulk at a store. It is more cost effective and easier when we are on the go. However, this is included in the $75 daily max. Could that be carved out somehow or divided among trip days? Otherwise, it is easy to go over $75 on that particular day.

COMMENT

Lynn, iPass is the best option for identifying secure internet access and there will be no fees charged to you. Many locations provide free internet but some hotels charge a fee and in-flight internet is not available via iPass so those are the two types of fees that Mayo will reimburse up to $35 per day.

COMMENT

Elizabeth, the Meals and Incidental Travel Expenses procedure allows payment of items at a grocery or other store as follows: “Itemized receipts are required when requesting reimbursement for grocery items. Any single expenditure at a store, regardless of dollar amount, requires an itemized receipt when purchased by cash or the Mayo Corporate Travel card.” The reimbursement provided for business travel is meant to provide for reasonable expenses and will not always cover everything. Travelers can limit themselves to the travel policy caps but accept that the excess will be a personal expense.

COMMENT
Please login or register to post a reply.