• By Dana Sparks

THURSDAY CONSUMER HEALTH TIPS

November 6, 2014

birthday cake and elderly man with Alzheimer's or dementiaAlzheimer's, dementia and MCI overlap but have different meanings

Blood thinners: Can I still get blood clots?

Dilated cardiomyopathy

Stress management: Know your triggers

Antidepressants and alcohol: What's the concern?

In the Lori example, the extra match would be $1500 because the percent is changed from 2 percent to 4 percent taken from her salary. Unless I missed something.

COMMENT

This is exciting news. Although I was hoping 'Maximize Your Match' was referring to a Mayo dating site. I kid.

COMMENT

@William: I think the article is saying $750 extra compared to the 2% contribution.

COMMENT

@William, the Lori example is correct. Giving 2 percent, she is making 750 dollars in match money. But if she gave 4 percent, she would make 1500 in match money. Which means she would make an extra 750 in match money if she raises her contribution to 4

COMMENT

Is there a maximum amount of contribution Mayo will match? I don’t see it on the website.

COMMENT

Can someone refresh my memory oh how we find out how much we are contributing towards our 403(b)/401(k)?

COMMENT

Is a "Pension Benefit Service Year" the same as a year working at Mayo Clinic? In the example George has two years of pension benefit service. Has George worked at Mayo for two years or has George been vested in the pension plan for two years?

COMMENT

@Joe: There is no dollar limit on the employer match. The Mayo match is based on your years of service and your contribution amount up to the first 4% that you contribute. your Benefits Team

COMMENT

@ Melissa: The best way to determine the current percentage that you contribute is to log in to the Fidelity website at http://www.netbenefits.com. You can also contact Fidelity by phone at 1-800-343-0860. your Benefits Team.

COMMENT

@ Julie: Pension Benefit Service is defined as "the total number of years and fractional years of your service in Covered Employment under the Plan. You receive one year of Benefits Service for each full Plan Year (calendar year) in which you have

COMMENT

Do we also use the Fidelity site to "opt in" to 403b contributions, if we are not currently contributing? Thank you!

COMMENT

What happens during transition years (crossing from say the 0-19 years of service 50% match to the 20-29 years of service 75% match)? For example, what if a person achieves 20 years of service on July 1 of a given year. I would presume there are 2 possibilities, but haven't seen where this is discussed. Possibilitiy 1 is that the contributions during the first half of the year are matched at 50%, and the 2nd half of the year are matched at 75%? Possiblity 2 is that the higher rate is ultimately applied to all contributions during the year one would achieve 20 years If the answer is that it is the first possibilitiy, one might wish to alter the timing of their contributions during that year to get the highest match. If it is possibility 2, is there some sort of retroactive 'catch up' once the person actually passed their anniversary date?

COMMENT

@ Jennifer, yes, to begin to contribute or to change your current contribution level, contact Fidelity Investments online or by phone. your Benefits Team

COMMENT

How does the match work if you are contributing 5% to 403/b but another 5% to the Roth Account?

COMMENT

@ Donna: Both traditional and Roth contributions are eligible for a match, however, the matching contributions will appear in the traditional category in the plan. In the example you gave, the plan would match on the first 4% that you contributed and th

COMMENT
Please login or register to post a reply.