THURSDAY CONSUMER HEALTH TIPS

February 26, 2015

young girl is sick and having her temperature taken

Fever treatment: Quick guide to treating a fever

Dense breast tissue: What it means to have dense breasts

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Blood pressure chart: What your reading means

Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan

This policy of "Being able to be my authentic self without fear of discrimination" should also include Bible believing Evangelical Christians, 2nd Amendment gun rights supporters, people who are Pro-Life, and Conservative Republicans, correct? It seems that everyone else is accepted and tolerated except the people with these particular views. I just wanted to make sure that we are supported as well here at Mayo Clinic and given equal opportunity to have free speech and live our lives as "our authentic selves" just like those in the above story should be treated. Thank you.

COMMENT

This is a great day and a wonderful reminder of the Power of One. Each of us play an important role in keeping Mayo Clinic a safe and welcoming place for all Mayo employees, patients, and families to be their authentic selves.

COMMENT

This sounds like a wonderful program. Being your authentic self should be a given, everywhere, at all times. Mental health is the same and is still highly stigmatized and hidden for fear of these same reasons.

COMMENT

Kudos to MERG for making Mayo a safe and welcoming community for all! I am looking forward to adding myself to the Allies of LGBTI community list when this is available.

COMMENT

I'm proud to be an Out Ally.

COMMENT

This effort is a great step forward and long overdue at Mayo. So proud of Mayo and so proud of our courageous LGBTQ colleagues.

COMMENT
@eriklevorson

This policy of "Being able to be my authentic self without fear of discrimination" should also include Bible believing Evangelical Christians, 2nd Amendment gun rights supporters, people who are Pro-Life, and Conservative Republicans, correct? It seems that everyone else is accepted and tolerated except the people with these particular views. I just wanted to make sure that we are supported as well here at Mayo Clinic and given equal opportunity to have free speech and live our lives as "our authentic selves" just like those in the above story should be treated. Thank you.

Jump to this post

I like your comment. I think you raise a good point. While I am not most of the things you list, I support you or others being such (or being things not listed). While we have policies in place that govern behavior to prevent harassment and promote respect; they should not stifle creativity and diversity. A part of this is recognizing that we each have things that make us different from each other; presuming we're all the same hurts us individually and as a group.

COMMENT

Very proud to work for a company that supports their staff in this way!

COMMENT
@eriklevorson

Jump to this post

Just so you're aware, the views or opinions you list as important to you are choices you made. You chose to espouse those views or opinions. People have a right to agree or disagree with the choices you made. Being gay or lesbian is not a choice. It's like being born with black hair or green eyes or brown skin. It's who you are. People should not have to hide who they are. As an ally, I stand with my LGBTQ colleagues.

COMMENT

This is fantastic to hear! I'm glad Mayo responded in such a positive way to the concerns of their employees.

COMMENT
@eriklevorson

Jump to this post

I am sure that a MERG group would be supported just as this one was, it would just take a person such as yourself taking the initiative to start it.

COMMENT
@eriklevorson

Jump to this post

Yes Erik, except that obviously the people who took the time to write a letter to administration did not feel that they were being accepted and tolerated. If you genuinely feel that you have been limited in job advancement, have been treated in a punitive manner that is outside Mayo policy, due to your personal political and/or religious beliefs, then you should contact your HR representative or administrator to discuss your concerns.

COMMENT
@eriklevorson

Jump to this post

I have to say this. This concerns me that this is the most liked of all of the comments. By Mayo Clinic support LGBTQI individuals, they're not not supporting any of the groups you list above. When MC posts a positive story about a young patient with cancer, nobody responds with "Well, what about support older individuals with cancer? And you left out support for lupus and ulcers and broken bones!"

COMMENT

Congratulations to the LGBTI MERG in creating the Outlist. A step towards creating an inclusive workforce, an environment to encourage safe, respectful conversations on subjects that some find uncomfortable. To bring ourselves closer we need to learn to talk about hard subjects and listen with compassion. As we do, we will create a stronger community for our employees and improve our quality of care for all patients. Enjoy our differences, respect our diverse thoughts and engage each other to create a welcoming environment for all.

COMMENT
@eriklevorson

Jump to this post

Erik, the sad reality is that in several states, individuals can be fired for being LGBT, without cause. Many workplaces do not offer the safety of being someone's true self without fear of retaliation. There are many MERGs that offer a variety of resources for individuals such as those you described above. If not, I'm sure someone from the Office of Diversity & Inclusion can assist you in creating one to fit the population that you feel is not being included. Guns are not allowed on any campus of Mayo Clinic for public safety reasons, not for discriminatory reasons as you claim. That being said, as a member of the LGBT community, I applaud Mayo Clinic for it's efforts to make the workplace more inclusive and safe for everyone.

COMMENT
Please login or register to post a reply.