THURSDAY CONSUMER HEALTH TIPS

April 9, 2015

close up of hands with rheumatoid arthritis

Rheumatoid arthritis pain: Tips for protecting your joints

Aromatherapy: Is it worthwhile?

Alzheimer's caregiving: Dealing with the strain on your marriage

Slide show: Causes of back pain

Breast-feeding tips: What new moms need to know

Great information! I stopped the late-night snacking after experiencing a bad case of indigestion. Thank you Dr. Murray for giving the background on what is happening with our bodies at night. It definitely puts things into perspective.

COMMENT

What about the night shift? Do the same rules apply, just adjusted for shift differential?

COMMENT

I, and many, work straight nights so no eating at night??? Would be nice if someone would study what is best for people who work nights.

COMMENT

It is hard when we are working night shift

COMMENT

I seem to be noticing a trend here in the comments above… Once more, what seems great, fine, and dandy for the "normal" people of the world is obtuse, painful, and lame for those of us called upon to work night shift… Come to the Dark side….

COMMENT

I personally would assume that "nighttime' = bedtime…whatever time of day that is. I could be completely wrong, though.

COMMENT

Does this apply just for long periods of sleep, or short naps too? What about a nice post-lunch nap on the weekends?

COMMENT

What is the recommendation for elementary school children where dinner and bedtime is usually back-to-back ?

COMMENT
@johnponcedeleon

What about the night shift? Do the same rules apply, just adjusted for shift differential?

Jump to this post

It would be relative to your own body clock, not the actual time of day. According to Dr. Murray, If you are going to bed at 6 am you should avoid eating after 3 am.

COMMENT

I would think for night shifters, your night is when you fall asleep during the daytime hours after your shift. I would apply these recommendations during that period of time, not at night when you are awake and working.

COMMENT

I think the article doesn't need to specify whether or not it targets one audiences sleeping pattern or not. I have grown accustomed to eating my meals later than the usual patterns due to working evenings/late hours, meaning by the time I'm done with my shift I am hungry. Going to bed hungry is not easy, nor is it something I'd recommend, but since my meals are timed differently, I've found eating my last meal and then doing the usual winding down, then getting ready for bed closer to 3am and getting up close to 10am has been very helpful for my well being. Remember to apply generalizations to how your body functions and not take it literally from an article!

COMMENT

I feel way better in the morning when I do not snack/eat many hours before bed. Waking up ready to eat is the best.

COMMENT
@thuyhng

It is hard when we are working night shift

Jump to this post

I would recommend looking at the comment of Dylan Gilbertson. I used to work third shift. When people would make recommendations to do something at "night" or at "day" I would always make sure if they mean "sleep" or "night"

COMMENT
Please login or register to post a reply.
Ilustración de un desgarre de la aorta
Tres estudiantes de medicina discuten sobre un tema