The holidays can be stressful, and for those in recovery it’s a time to be vigilant against relapse. Fountain Centers
, a Mayo Clinic Health System
program for substance abuse and addiction, offers the following tips to help ensure a clean and sober holiday season.
Common relapse dangers to be aware of:
- Being in the presence of drugs or alcohol.
- Having alcohol in the house for friends and events.
- Being too busy to go to meetings.
- Not talking to your sponsor and sober friends.
- Too busy to read your daily meditations or communicate with your higher power.
- Setting unrealistic goals for the holidays, be it decorating, entertaining or gift-giving.
- Feeling overwhelmed, confused, useless or stressed out over planning or unrealistic goals.
- Changes in eating, sleeping patterns and energy levels.