• By Dennis Douda

Christmas Eve Discovery 100 Years Ago is Still Helping Millions

December 24, 2014

'Mayo 150 years serving humanity' 150th Sesquicentennial LogoSome medical discoveries truly stand the test of time. The case of a dedicated Mayo Clinic chemist is a prime example. Feeling he was on the verge of a breakthrough that could help countless people, Edward Kendall spent Christmas Eve 1914 locked away in his lab. What he accomplished by Christmas morning was a gift to millions, one that is still improving lives 100 years later. [TRT 4:43]

Journalists: A broadcast quality video package is available in the downloads. To read the full script click here

This is a special report produced for the Mayo Clinic 150th Anniversary Collection of Stories. To view other stories and learn about Mayo Clinic's sesquicentennial, please click here.

I remember a television news story about this problem from back in 2001 (almost 14 years ago). I was on '60 Minutes' and featured a Mayo physician back then. Sorry to see the situation has remained a problem for our society. (found a recap of the TV item at link http://www.cbsnews.com/news/identity-theft-continues-to-increase/ )

Are the hard drives on our Mayo printers/scanners encrypted? If not, is not the memory of these hard drives erased before sending them back to the vendor? Software to download the files on a printer and scanner hard drive is accessible on the internet. This would include patient information and sensitive employee information. Thanks.

Do we let someone here at Mayo know if our social security number was used by someone else

Does Mayo offer Identify Theft Insurance for employees?

@carolgalde

Jump to this post

Mayo does offer Identity Theft insurance through Hirman Insurors. I think I pay $2.88 per pay check. Well worth it!

@carolgalde

Jump to this post

Yes, it's through Hirman Insurors. However, I would strongly encourage you to compare other ID theft insurance with your current homeowners insurance and other providers. There are better options available — make sure to compare all the benefits as well as the premium and deductible (Hirmon = $500 deductible) . Regardless of who you choose, it's wise to have ID theft insurance.

@carolgalde

Jump to this post

FYI, a lot of premiums with other insurance providers are ~$25/yr with no deductible for similar or better coverage.

@carolgalde

Jump to this post

To learn more about the identity theft program available, through Hirman Insuror, please review http://mayoweb.mayo.edu/humanresources-benefits/Documents/Voluntary_Group_IDTheft.pdf. Thank you. Your Benefits Team

Have those affected been notified? If not, how are they supposed to know their SS numbers have been compromised?

@pamelareich

Do we let someone here at Mayo know if our social security number was used by someone else

Jump to this post

Please contact the employee service center (at the number listed in the article) to make them aware if you were a victim of tax fraud this year. They can assist with any questions. Thank you JoEllen Frain Office of Information Security

If this happens to us, should we be informing someone at Mayo?

@janewiggs1

Have those affected been notified? If not, how are they supposed to know their SS numbers have been compromised?

Jump to this post

With the tax fraud situation, individuals are typically not aware of the issue until they go to file their taxes and upon filing they find out another return has already been submitted in their name. I encourage you to visit the "tips from the IRS" link in the article above to learn more about steps you can take to protect yourself. JoEllen Frain Office of Information Security

@nancylexvold

Are the hard drives on our Mayo printers/scanners encrypted? If not, is not the memory of these hard drives erased before sending them back to the vendor? Software to download the files on a printer and scanner hard drive is accessible on the internet. This would include patient information and sensitive employee information. Thanks.

Jump to this post

Hi, Nancy. We have a policy in place that addresses this concern: http://mayocontent.mayo.edu/prmr/DOCMAN-0000183871 Thank you. – April, Privacy Office

@janewiggs1

Jump to this post

My SSN was used to file a tax return, that's how we found out. We have identity theft insurance with Hirmin and they suggested I report it to Employee Services, which I did along with everything else on the checklist. Luckily, it has not been used for anything else according to the first reports of the credit bureaus.

Please login or register to post a reply.