- By Laurel Kelly
Housecall: Cold remedies
THIS WEEK'S TOP TOPICS
Cold remedies: What works, what doesn't and what can't hurt
For generations, people have turned to chicken soup to help cure colds. Does it really work? What about other remedies? Get the facts and feel better soon.
Weight-loss goals: Set yourself up for success
Realistic, well-planned weight-loss goals keep you focused and motivated. Here are some handy tips to help you achieve your dreams.
Is a low-phosphorus diet helpful for kidney disease?
If your kidneys don't work well, you may need to limit how much phosphorus you eat or drink. Here's how to adjust your diet. Learn more from Rachael Majorowicz, a Mayo Clinic registered dietitian nutritionist.
What are the effects of marijuana during pregnancy?
Find out how using marijuana while you're expecting can endanger both you and your baby. Learn more from Julie Lamppa, a Mayo Clinic certified nurse midwife.
HEALTH TIP OF THE WEEK
Stress and headaches: Stop the cycle
Stress can make your head hurt, and a headache can really stress you out. Either way, you can rein in the pain with these tips to keep stress under control:
- Simplify. Ask yourself what really needs to be done and what can be dropped.
- Delegate. Look over your to-do list and delegate what you can.
- Laugh. Staying positive with humor is a great way to relieve stress.
- Relax. When you feel your muscles begin to tense, breathe deeply. Focus on inhaling and exhaling deeply and slowly for at least 10 minutes.
- Exercise. Regular exercise provides a healthy break from the stress of daily life.
Need practical advice on diet and exercise? Want creative solutions for stress and other lifestyle issues? Discover more healthy lifestyle topics at mayoclinic.org.
Receive a free e-subscription to Housecall and other health newsletters.