- By Laurel J. Kelly
Housecall: The benefits of massage
THIS WEEK'S TOP STORIES
Massage: Get in touch with its many benefits
Massage can be a powerful tool to help you take charge of your health and well-being. It can help with anxiety, headaches, sports injuries and more. If you've never tried massage, learn about its possible health benefits and what to expect during a massage therapy session.
Vaccinations: Is your child up to date?
Along with new pencils and notebooks, your child may need certain vaccinations before heading back to school. And given the schedule's complexity and frequent updates, it can be challenging to understand which vaccines are needed and when. Here's what you need to know.
Can protein shakes help with weight loss?
Despite claims by manufacturers of protein shakes, the drinks are not the best way to lose weight and keep it off. Depending on the rest of your diet and how much you exercise, adding protein shakes may make you gain weight. Learn more from Katherine Zeratsky, a Mayo Clinic dietitian.
Why is my blood pressure reading at home higher than in my doctor's office?
Blood pressure measurements that are higher at home than in your doctor's office could be caused by a decrease in stress at your doctor's office or an error in measuring your blood pressure at home. Learn more from Dr. Sheldon Sheps, an emeritus Mayo Clinic nephrologist.
HEALTH TIP OF THE WEEK
How fit are you?
How do you know your fitness routine is paying off? Track your numbers:
- Record your pulse rate before and after a brisk 10-minute walk.
- Record your time after a 1.5-mile run.
- Count how many pushups you can do at a time and how many situps you can do in one minute.
- See how far you can reach forward while seated on the floor with your legs in front of you.
- Measure your waist circumference just above your hipbones.
- Calculate your body mass index.
- Repeat these measurements again in six weeks to assess your progress.
Need practical advice on diet and exercise? Want creative solutions for stress and other lifestyle issues? Discover more healthy lifestyle topics at mayoclinic.org.
Receive a free e-subscription to Housecall and other health newsletters.