• Cardiovascular

In the Loop: From heart patient as a child to heart doctor for children

In the Loop patient Dr. Brandon Lane Phillips in his office with a young patientDr. Brandon Lane Phillips isn't just a pediatric cardiologist. He's also a congenital heart disease survivor whose patient experience at Mayo inspired him to return for a pediatric cardiology fellowship.

When Brandon Lane Phillips, M.D., talks to parents about their children's heart defects, he understands better than most their worries and fears. That's because Dr. Phillips isn't just a pediatric cardiologist. He's also a congenital heart disease survivor, born with tetralogy of Fallot. It's an experience that allows him "to connect with families and provide reassurance that a heart defect isn't a death sentence," according to the News Star.

Dr. Phillips, who completed a pediatric cardiology fellowship at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science, has dreamed of caring for kids like himself since he was a kid himself. "Growing up, I absolutely adored my pediatric cardiologist," he tells our friends at Sharing Mayo Clinic. "From the time I could walk and talk, being a pediatric cardiologist was the only thing I ever wanted to do."

Read the rest of the story.

This story originally appeared on the In the Loop blog.

Related Articles