• Health & Wellness

Monday’s Housecall

Housecall BannerTHIS WEEK'S TOP STORIESKidney stones illustration
Kidney stones
These small, hard deposits that form inside your kidneys can be painful. See if your weight, diet or even the climate you live in puts you at risk.

Weight loss: Ready to change your habits?
Is it finally time to drop those unwanted pounds? Answer these questions to see if you're ready to start a weight-loss plan.

EXPERT ANSWERS
How much exercise do I need to help control my cholesterol?
Regular physical activity can help lower "bad" cholesterol and raise "good" cholesterol. See how often you should get moving.
Shingles vaccine: Can I transmit the vaccine virus to others?
The shingles vaccine uses the live varicella-zoster (chickenpox) virus, but it won't make you infectious to others.

Click here to get a free e-subscription to the Housecall newsletter.

PLUS ADDITIONAL HIGHLIGHTS
Breast lump: Early evaluation is essential
Sunburn: First aid
Proton therapy
Swollen knee

HEALTHY RECIPES
Halibut with tomato basil salsa
Pickled onion salad
Hurricane punch
Seasonal fruit palette

HEALTH TIP OF THE WEEK
Free weights or machines: Which are better?
Free weights are versatile and inexpensive. They also simulate real-life lifting situations and promote whole-body stabilization. Likewise, machine weights can be effective weight training tools, as long as you use machines that adjust to your body dimensions and allow full range of motion of your joints. What is the bottom line? Choose a weight training system that you enjoy and that fits into your lifestyle. And whatever type of resistance you choose, remember that proper technique is more important than the specific type of equipment.

Need practical advice on diet and exercise? Want creative solutions for stress and other lifestyle issues? Discover even more healthy lifestyle topics at MayoClinic.org.

NOW BLOGGING
Stress: Drinking from the fire hose
How do you cope with the incessant stream of information coming at you each and every day?

Related Articles