- By Ginger Plumbo
Mayo Clinic Launches Pregnancy App on App Store
ROCHESTER, Minn. — July 29, 2013 — Mayo Clinic's free app, Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy, is now available on the App Store for iPhone and iPod touch users.
MULTIMEDIA ALERT: Videos of a patient using the app and an interview with Dr. Harms are available on the Mayo Clinic News Network.
Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy is a trustworthy guide to pregnancy, childbirth and baby's first three months. Developed by Mayo Clinic, the app leverages the medical and lifestyle expertise of a team of Mayo's pregnancy experts in obstetrics and gynecology, genetics, nutrition, midwifery and lactation.
"Getting pregnant and becoming a parent are among the most significant experiences in a person's life and can be overwhelming," says Roger Harms, M.D., a Mayo Clinic specialist in obstetrics and gynecology and senior medical director for operations in Mayo Clinic's Global Business Solutions division. "This app will guide you from conception to delivery, and see you through the first three months with your newborn to give you peace of mind and enhance your sense of wonder throughout the experience."
Moms-to-be can simply enter the baby's due date (or birthdate) or the date of their last menstrual period to start receiving weekly lifestyle and health guidance. Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy provides tips and guidance for all aspects of pregnancy, birth and up to 12 weeks postpartum, with all the information expectant parents need to have a safe, healthy pregnancy and early weeks of parenthood. The app also will provide easy navigation to find some of Mayo Clinic's other pregnancy-related resources such as the "Ask Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy" service, the "Pregnancy and You" blog, the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, and the Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year.
Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy features:
- You and Your Baby: Moms-to-be can learn how their body is changing throughout their pregnancy, how the baby is developing, ways to relieve pregnancy symptoms, and what to expect during labor and delivery.
- Medications and Immunizations: Insight into vaccine safety, medications that are safe during pregnancy, and the benefits of prenatal vitamins.
- Lifestyle: Techniques on how to stay fit and healthy during pregnancy, ways for couples to stay connected with each other, and tips on making pregnancy easier and more comfortable while working.
- Nutrition: Answers to the most common questions regarding what women can and cannot eat during pregnancy, and tips on healthy eating for mom and baby.
- Prenatal Care: What to expect at prenatal appointments, screenings and tests.
- Images and Slideshows: Professional medical illustrations and images — from exercises to what a diaper rash looks like.
- Postpartum Care: Recovering from labor, exercise after pregnancy, knowing the signs of postpartum depression, and how to maintain intimacy after pregnancy.
- Infant Care: Tips on how to handle everything from spitting up to soothing a crying baby to feeding a newborn.
The Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy App is available for free from the App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at Mobile apps from Mayo Clinic.
About Mayo Clinic
Recognizing 150 years of serving humanity in 2014, Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit worldwide leader in medical care, research and education for people from all walks of life. For more information, visit 150years.mayoclinic.org, www.mayoclinic.org and newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org.
Ginger Plumbo, Mayo Clinic Public Affairs, 507-284-5005, firstname.lastname@example.org